Summary Care Record

There is a new Central NHS Computer System called the Enhanced Summary Care Record (SCR). It is an electronic record which contains information about the medicines you take, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had.

Why do I need an Enhanced Summary Care Record?

Storing information in one place makes it easier for healthcare staff to treat you in an emergency, or when your GP practice is closed.

This information could make a difference to how a doctor decides to care for you, for example which medicines they choose to prescribe for you.

Most of our patients already have a summary care record, where medications and allergies can be viewed, if you choose to add additional information to this such as relevant problems, communication needs etc. this will further increase the quality of your care - Quicker access, diagnosis and treatment.

Choosing which organisations can view your record

You can choose which other organisations involved in your care, can view you full medical record. You can choose this on an individual organisational basis, or apply the setting across all organisations. Speak to you GP to set your choice, or set them yourself using SystmOnline. You have the following choices:


How to provide a security code or online approval


For more information please speak to a member of the reception team. You can also get more information about Sharing your medical record by reading our Quick Start Patient guide to sharing.

Who can see it?

Only healthcare staff involved in your care can see your Summary Care Record.  

How do I know if I have one?

Over half of the population of England now have a Summary Care Record. You can find out whether Summary Care Records have come to your area by looking at our interactive map or by asking your GP

Do I have to have one?

No, it is not compulsory. If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete a form and bring it along to the surgery (see below).

More Information

For further information visit the NHS Care records website

Click here to download the Summary Care Record Opt-Out form

If the answer is YES - please contact our reception team who can update your medical record.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website